Au Natural
No makeup, bed head, sweatpants, and a warm smile welcomes me Sunday morning from Miss Rachel Patterson. The one thing I think of to describe this girl is "au natural". She is no primpy girl checking herself in the mirror, rather she is a fly out the door full-time college student, work-a-holic. The youthful 21 year old is trying to find her way as a junior social work major at the University of Northern Iowa. Though Rachel currently lives at home she basically just sleeps there only to wake to a full course schedule, juggle her three different jobs, attend leadership classes with her local church, and maintain her social life. I was able to slump down on the couch with her Sunday morning before lunch and pull out random questions. The fun thing about Rachel is she is full of life and full of stories.





Me: What's your go-to outfit?
Rachel: I always wear skinny jeans or jeggings, toms or boots (I never wear sweatpants to class) and I usually throw on a cute shirt and a cardigan.
Me: What's your beauty regimen?
Rachel: I barely wear makeup, but will throw on mascara because I have long eyelashes. I always have my nails painted! Even if they are chipped or with just a little dab of paint, I love to have them painted some fun color.
Me: What do you do in your downtime?
Rachel: My friends and I do game nights. We play ugly uno. My cousin, Austin is teaching me to play Cribbage. I actually have found myself reading the Bible more, to practice my walk.
Me: What activities do you like to do?
Rachel: Bike, run, walk. This summer in Switzerland, I did canyoning with some friends. We jumped off waterfalls, slid down water-made slides, and repelled off cliffs. That kind of adventure excites me.






Me: What's your favorite thing to cook on your own?
Rachel: I can cook almost anything on my own. I can bake cookies, brownies, bars. If there is peanut butter in any dessert, there is a high chance I will eat it! This summer I would make my own stir fry with fresh vegetables and rice. Did you know you can make spaghetti with spaghetti squash?!? All you do is add sauce to the squash and it's gluten and dairy free!
Me: What's your favorite memory as a kid growing up with your siblings?
Rachel: On Saturday nights we would have "Kids Club". It would be a night that my dad would camp out in the living room with us three and we would watch a movie and have a slumber party. Also on Sunday nights we would have popcorn and pop for dinner. We would always have caffeine-free pop and my dad would experiment with adding vanilla or chocolate to it. I never had real pop until I hit high school.
Me: Where do you work?
Rachel: I volunteer during the school year with Camp Adventure at UNI, but work with C.A. over the summer. I work about 7 hours a week at Coldstone Creamery. I make cakes, ice cream, and decorate everything. I don't eat their ice cream anymore. I also serve and bartend at Lonestar.
Me: Tell me more about Camp Adventure?
Rachel: It's like a camp for kids. We run a summer-like program for school-age kids all year round. Come April I will be going to Sicily for C.A. Last year I worked in Germany and The Netherlands.
Me: What's your dream job?
Rachel: Anything with youth. I'd like to run a before and after school program for kids in a larger city like New York or Los Angelas.
Love you Rachel! Stay vivid!!



Me: What's your go-to outfit?
Rachel: I always wear skinny jeans or jeggings, toms or boots (I never wear sweatpants to class) and I usually throw on a cute shirt and a cardigan.
Me: What's your beauty regimen?
Rachel: I barely wear makeup, but will throw on mascara because I have long eyelashes. I always have my nails painted! Even if they are chipped or with just a little dab of paint, I love to have them painted some fun color.
Me: What do you do in your downtime?
Rachel: My friends and I do game nights. We play ugly uno. My cousin, Austin is teaching me to play Cribbage. I actually have found myself reading the Bible more, to practice my walk.
Me: What activities do you like to do?
Rachel: Bike, run, walk. This summer in Switzerland, I did canyoning with some friends. We jumped off waterfalls, slid down water-made slides, and repelled off cliffs. That kind of adventure excites me.




Me: What's your favorite thing to cook on your own?
Rachel: I can cook almost anything on my own. I can bake cookies, brownies, bars. If there is peanut butter in any dessert, there is a high chance I will eat it! This summer I would make my own stir fry with fresh vegetables and rice. Did you know you can make spaghetti with spaghetti squash?!? All you do is add sauce to the squash and it's gluten and dairy free!
Me: What's your favorite memory as a kid growing up with your siblings?
Rachel: On Saturday nights we would have "Kids Club". It would be a night that my dad would camp out in the living room with us three and we would watch a movie and have a slumber party. Also on Sunday nights we would have popcorn and pop for dinner. We would always have caffeine-free pop and my dad would experiment with adding vanilla or chocolate to it. I never had real pop until I hit high school.
Me: Where do you work?
Rachel: I volunteer during the school year with Camp Adventure at UNI, but work with C.A. over the summer. I work about 7 hours a week at Coldstone Creamery. I make cakes, ice cream, and decorate everything. I don't eat their ice cream anymore. I also serve and bartend at Lonestar.
Me: Tell me more about Camp Adventure?
Rachel: It's like a camp for kids. We run a summer-like program for school-age kids all year round. Come April I will be going to Sicily for C.A. Last year I worked in Germany and The Netherlands.
Me: What's your dream job?
Rachel: Anything with youth. I'd like to run a before and after school program for kids in a larger city like New York or Los Angelas.
Love you Rachel! Stay vivid!!



Comments
Post a Comment