These Two...


These two...These two gals, these sisters, my sisters (in-law). These two mysterious, driven, God-fearing women. These two completely different individuals show us how to live out of the ordinary to pursue their passions of loving God, and loving others.




Natalie




What are you up to this summer?
At the end of June, I'm traveling to Haiti to serve at United Christians International. I'll be teaching English at their University and also hope to facilitate a Bible study with a few ladies.  I'll be there until August 5th which will give me time to come back to the States and get ready for another school year. (That's my 10 second answer so if you want my 5 minute response, ask. There's more to the story.)

How do you strive to live "simply"?
I enjoy getting rid of stuff. I'm reading a book right now with a small group of ladies and it talks about the gift of the Sabbath. One of the points the author makes is that our busyness of life doesn't just mean busy with our time. It also involves the clutter and excess of material things we have in our life. I have found this so true for me. If I have a lot going on either time wise or just an excess of stuff, I tend to be more distant from the Lord.

When you have alone time/ time to unwind....what recharges your batteries?
What recharges my batteries most is being able to journal and get in the Word. (And as I say this I also want to be real and say that this isn't always what I go to when I need recharged). I also enjoy running and listening to podcasts. It tends to be a good combination of learning and praying.

What's a lesson your parents/family has taught you that you carry with you?
Work hard but don't dismiss the people you are working with. My parents, yes both of them, are some of the hardest working people I know. But I love that they not only are focused on their work but they stop and build relationships with those they work with. They are very aware of others needs and will always set their work aside to help someone else out!

What makes you smile?
Haiti or a little one smiling/laughing.  Even better yet a Haitian child smiling/laughing.

What's your favorite treat?
Ice cream, especially now that it's getting warmer.

Favorite place to shop?
Shopping?! Like you mean spend money? I like the grocery store.

Lastly, what's something you are learning about yourself?
This is pretty raw but why not share... I am insecure. A lot of my security I try to find in being successful in other's eyes or even in my appearance. I just got done with my first year of teaching and I learned a lot about myself! Most of the problems I reached or lies I'd believe, all were rooted in my insecurity. It's a struggle for me to be confident in myself and I'm learning it is only done through my confidence in Jesus.


Rachel





 
What are you up to this summer?
This summer I will be in Seoul, South Korea working for an organization called Camp Adventure.  I will be running a summer camp program for the ages from infant (6 weeks) to preschool aged on a military base. I will be there for three months this summer.

How do you strive to live "simply"?

I try to live simply with my friendships and the relationships that I have with others.  I tend to only have a few friends, but those friendships are deep. I tend to get a bit anxious when I am around a bunch of people because there is no sense of "realness" in conversations. I like to get to know the person I am with and get under the surface level talks and really talk about what is going on in our lives. 

What's a motto/verse/quote you live by, or that speaks to your core being?
Whatever you do, do it enthusiastically, as something done for the Lord and not for men, knowing that you will receive the reward of an inheritance from the Lord. You serve the Lord Christ. Colossians‬ ‭3‬:‭23-24‬ 

This piece of scripture has been one that I have been working on for a while. I want everything that I do to show the love of Jesus in me. I want people to see something different in me and I want to put my faith first.  Because in the end, it's Jesus that matters.  

What's something you are learning about yourself?

Well as my sister said, let's be honest about this one.  I am finding out about myself that I find my worth in other people and not in God.  I put a lot of effort and pressure on friendships that I end up getting disappointed.  I try to put a high standard on them and myself that it ends up hurting me in the end.  I am realizing that the only person who matters in this world is God.  This is definitely a slow process, because it's not that easy for me to switch my thought process.  I know that I am worth more than gold in His eyes, but it is just so hard to see it sometimes and to wrap my brain around it. I am learning to love imperfections and to accept people for who God intended them to be. 

When you have alone time/ time to unwind....what recharges your batteries?
I enjoy running on trails with my sister or being outside in general.  I also enjoy reading books, journaling or being in the Word but lately, its just being able to sit down with a glass of Wine.

What's a lesson your parents/family has taught you that you carry with you?

My Mother has taught me the importance of working hard.  My mom has worked two jobs ever since I can remember.  She has always made time for me, if it was making me dinner quick or just listening to me rant about something ridiculous.  She has taught me to slow down, and take it day by day and stop worrying about the little things.
My dad has taught me how important family is. No matter what happens in life, your family will always be there, so you need to work on your relationship with your family.
My brother has taught me a lot. He has taught me how to be patient, with people, myself and God's timing. He has been a great example for me to look at for a father. He is an amazing dad to his kids and I find myself watching him because of the love he has for them--which stems from our Heavenly Father. 
My sister, she continually teaches me. Here's the list (I could probably write a book but ill keep it short) To slow down and appreciate life. To let people know how much I care about them. To have a relationship with God and to trust in him. She reminds me that I won't know everything and that it will be ok. She has taught me how to love, even when it's hard. She has taught me how to find joy in the trials.
My sister in law has taught me how to let loose. When I'm with her, I know I'm going to have fun. She has shown me the rawness of being a mother and I love her so much for it. She doesn't try to make it seem all rainbows and butterflies, she is real and honest and I admire her for that and strive to be more like her. 

What makes you smile?

My niece and nephews make me smile--especially when I see Lane doing the tight pants dance, Leo's sweet self (and his adorable butt crack ;)) and Lincoln's kissable cheeks.  
But traveling makes me extremely happy, thinking about the new places I will see and the people I will meet is a feeling that I can't explain. 

Favorite place to shop?
H&M  or TJ MAXX but I try to stay away from shopping because it tends to get me in trouble.
 
Lastly, what's something people may not know about you?
That I have screws in my knuckles in my right hand. Oh and that big crowds scare me and give me anxiety.








 
Be uplifted. Be encouraged. Be an individual. Don't be afraid to live against the grain. Be God-fearing. Be Love.
 
Love God. Love Others. 
-Natalie Patterson






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirit of Laziness

Life is So Noisy

Tidy House