A New Look of an Old Era

This gal and I are two peas from a similar pod. We both enjoy decorating, organization, flowers, wine/beer/margaritas, children, Mary Kay, vintage inspired things, furniture, books, our husbands, cheerleading/dance/ballet, etc. But there are so many things about this woman that make her truly unique. Melissa Woodward always has a good book to recommend, profound knowledge about WWII, or any era for that matter, she's a mother and a step-mother, she has an obsession with the color teal, and she loves Colorado (her home state). Enjoy getting to know her more yourself, she's one heck of a lady...

Why do you hold such a passion for WWII?
After my great grandfather passed away this spring, I really felt a need to honor him in some way. This just fits. My great grandfather, Burdett Cain, was a Master Sargent in the Army Air Core during WWII. He worked on B24s and was stationed in Italy during the Allies occupation. He and I were very close, closer than the average great grandparent and great grandchild, as he was the only grandfather I ever knew. He called me Shnickelfritz and it was special. 
  
"As a tribute to him we took a leap back in time to the 1940’s, contributing an artistic view and my dance background to create a beautiful unique concept."

 
What's your favorite thing about being a mama?
I love being a mother. Both Kae and Avery are my whole world. My favorite thing about being a mom is loving my kids for all they have to offer and overcoming the challenges they bring. Kae is beautiful, smart, sweet, and has the most creative mind that I have ever encountered. I have been extremely blessed that God has given me the opportunity to be a part of her life. Being a step parent is never easy but I love that little woman with all my heart, maybe more than if she were my natural daughter because I chose to love her. Avery is a character. His smile can light up the room. He is so curious and mischievous that I can’t take my eye off him. He is also sweet! The kindness he shows, even at a year old, makes me proud to be his mom. I love both my children unconditionally and they are both a very important part of our family.



What's some advice for us moms?
My biggest advice as a mom, remember to do what is best for your family and for your kids! It may not be what others have chosen, and that’s okay. Others might not agree with you, and that’s okay. If it is what is best for your family and your kids, that is what you need to do.

You've just been hired for your dream job, what's so exciting about it?!?
This year I have been gifted with an amazing opportunity to move back to Colorado and start teaching at a school that shares my vision for education. This vision includes nurturing the students’ individual ideas, passions, and learning styles. I believe that when a student feels success they will strive to continue that success. As a teacher I want to create a learning environment where students are safe to express their individual ideas, concepts, and beliefs. This year I will be teaching half day Kindergarten and 4th grade social studies at Westgate Community School for Gifted and Creative Learners. I am really honored to be a member of the staff at Westgate. This is really my dream position. I will get to learn and grow, while following my passion to teach kids to be responsible and autonomous learners.





Mary Kay is in your blood, what's your beauty regimen?
I am a Mary Kay addict. I admit, I have a problem. I love to try new products and have probably tried 95% of all Mary Kay products. I also use Mary Kay every day! My beauty regimen starts with Mary Kay botanical effects formula one (because I have dry skin) cleanser and moisturizer, morning and night, every day. I then use one of Mary Kay’s wonderful foundations. I like to have a few different foundation options at hand depending on how my skin feels and looks that day. For this photo shoot I used Mary Kay correction complexion (CC) cream in light and the Mineral Powder Foundation in Ivory two. On my eyes, I am wearing Crystalline on my brow bone and near my tear ducts, Spun Silk from my lashes to the start of my brow bone, Espresso on the outer edges of my eyes, black gel eyeliner, and Mary Kay Ultimate mascara. On my cheeks I am wearing Mary Kay bronzing powder in light to medium and Mary Kay Mineral Duo in Watermelon. On my lips I used the Mary Kay Satin lips system to make sure that my lipstick didn’t peel, then I used clear lip liner and Mary Kay True Dimensions lipstick in Fire Cracker. However, my favorite Mary Kay product and beauty secret is the Mary Kay Facial Highlighting Pen. The Facial Highlighting Pen has actual light reflecting pigments to make your skin look brighter, tone more even, and more radiant.
  
You are so confident, and offer such grace in your everyday demeanor. How do you do it?
It was not easy to dress up and let you take pictures of me. As a mom, and especially as a relatively new mom, it is really hard to see how my body has changed and be okay with it. Knowing my hips and my rib cage will never go back to pre-pregnancy size can be a harsh reality. Not that I think I’m fat, just that my body can’t ever be the same. However, through love, we found some outfits and concepts that made me feel comfortable and beautiful.
  
 
What's a verse you live your life by?
Patience and faith can get you through anything. Trust that when things work the way they do, good or bad, that God will use it for his ultimate plan. “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be open to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be open. Which of you, if your son asks for bread will give him a stone? Or if he asks for fish, will give him a snake? If you, then though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him?!” (Matthew 7:7-11 NIV).

"I have found that we have all been through a lot, every human on this earth has a story and part of that story is hard, and sad, and difficult. Those of us who have found solace, peace, and love in our heavenly father can overcome because he has overcome."




Thank you, dear friend! Have a blessed journey to Colorado. Explore, teach, nurture, converse, and enjoy being back with your family. MUCH LOVE!





*Disclaimer: Part of this photo shoot was taken on the old Waterloo Cedar Falls Railroad tracks that used to be used as a trolley between Waterloo and Cedar Falls. It's no longer an active line. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirit of Laziness

Life is So Noisy

Tidy House