A Family Built on Christ's Solid Rock

On Christ this solid rock I stand. That is what this family stands for. Tyler and Megan have been friends of my husband and I for years, like back to elementary years. These two have always been individuals who stand for a purpose. Their lives are a living sacrifice of giving their time to the Lord's work. Read below and find out for yourself how two people, committed to love and devotion, make a difference in their everyday life. From raising children, to the daily work grind, to spending time ministering to high school students. These two lives have stories worth sharing. Enjoy!


You and Tyler met in high school, tell us briefly about how you two came to fall in love?  
Tyler and I met our junior year in high school and became instant best friends. Our first encounter was at UNI playing touch football and I guarded Tyler because he was the slowest one on the other team Our relationship started from that Monday night and continued to grow throughout high school. We never had the title of boyfriend or girlfriend in high school, but the day I moved into Campbell Hall at UNI we became “official”.

You and Tyler just celebrated your 5 year wedding anniversary this past October. What has been some of the most rewarding moments of your 5 years together? 
The most rewarding moments in our marriage would be the births of our two amazing boys, Landon and Dawson, creating our own little family. We also were both blessed with amazing jobs right out of college with the Cedar Falls Community School District. Tyler was hired as a 3rd grade teacher at Hansen Elementary, and now is teaching 2nd grade and I was hired as the Counseling secretary but now work as the School Administration Manager at Peet Jr High. We also bought my childhood home our 2nd year in marriage and a puppy, Clarence.


What's something that has not changed (for both of you) since you two met?
We both love God and love each other, serving and volunteering at church and being with family. These have all been constant throughout our relationship. 

What's something (or a few ways) you and Tyler try to do to keep each other grounded and in love?
Our lives tend to be a little busy with work, church, kids etc, so we try and have slow nights together after the boys go to bed by watching some of our favorite shows, Tyler giving me foot massages, going on weekend get aways with friends and family. We also try to have date nights out without the boys about once every month (or so). The key is just to be with each other, even if we are not engaging in conversation or activity; we just really enjoy each others presence!

Megan, what does a typical day look like for you? 
A typical day for me would be getting ready and heading to work by 7:15am, go to work in my extremely fun office at Peet with people I truly enjoy working with, getting off around 3:45pm and picking-up the boys at my parents’ house (daycare). I either cook dinner when we get home or I ask Landon where he wants to go out to eat out. We tend to go out a lot. It’s a bad habit, but we LOVE our local restaurants in Cedar Falls! After dinner we run around and play ninja turtles, UNI basketball or some kind of sports game, give the boys a bath and put the boys to bed. After bed-time, Tyler and I love to watch The Voice, Black List, any show on Bravo or HGTV or a football game!

On a day off all to yourself, what would you find yourself doing? 
I would find myself probably at TJ Maxx, Old Navy or Target, my happy place. I could probably spend half of my day walking through Target looking through the sales or full priced items that I plan to buy as soon as they hit that sales rack! You would be surprised at the deals you can find if you go out there frequently! I also really enjoy getting a manicure and pedicure. That would probably be my ideal day off.

Tyler what does a typical day look like for you? 
A typical day for me involves heading to work and having a blast helping 2nd graders grow in their love for learning. Once off of work, it’s on my way home to see my family. We figure out that terrible question of, “What’s for dinner?” And then it’s off to do some much needed shopping, hang out at a sporting event, or catch up on the DVR shows/movies we haven’t been able to watch yet. On a day to myself, I would get out and play some type of sport, watch a superhero movie, make a trip to Scheels and eat at least three oreos.

Briefly describe both of your professions, and what's your drive or your passion within your profession? 
Megan – I am the School Administration Manager at Peet Jr High. This is my 4th year in that position as I was originally hired as the Counseling secretary in 2010. I work closely with the principals and do more of their management jobs so they can be instructional leaders and be in the classrooms more often. I have a passion for helping others, whether it be teachers, principals or students to become successful in their roles and tasks. I have a weird obsession with being organized, so I find myself going over my processes/files/desk many times until they are completely organized and effective. 
Tyler – I get to work with seven and eight year olds all day. I truly believe they are some of the coolest people on Earth, and each day proves to be an extremely fun experience. I am part of a team of teachers the push each other daily and still manage to have our share of fun. I also have the best principal I could ask to work for.

Family life verse or family quote or moto you live by? 
Our family mission statement that we created last year is “Serve the Lord while building loving and Christ-centered relationships”. Tyler and I have had the opportunity to serve as 6th Grade Ministry Leaders at Orchard Hill for the last 4 years. We meet with students every Sunday and every other week for activity nights. Through this ministry, we have built many relationships with these students and it has been a blessing to us to see these young students build a personal relationship with Christ. We also have volunteered at Big House for about 7 years and met some amazing students! It is extremely awesome to see Landon pretending to be some of boys in Tyler’s past small groups, they have been great role models for Landon to look up to!

Megan, as a young mother, what's some advice you would give to new moms?  
Be relaxed, babies can sense when you are anxious. The more relaxed you are, the more relaxed they will be (this also goes for when you are pregnant)! Tell your husband how he can help you with baby, he can’t read your mind (would be easier if they could!!) Put your baby down for naps, establish places baby should sleep, such as in their crib, bassinet or swings. Little snuggles on your chest are good for bonding and cuddling, but not for long time napping! This will help in the long run when you are trying to transition from bassinet (or rock n’ cradle in our house) to the crib. The more sleep babies get during the day, the longer they will sleep at night. Lastly, swaddle!! At first, babies may not like to be confined when swaddled, but stick with it and they will expect it. Swaddling will become a cue for them that it is time to sleep. We really enjoyed the Aden + Anais blankets (find them here) and the sleeper sacks. 


Tyler, as a young father, what's some advice you would also give to young moms, but most importantly dads?
Really listen to the mother and trust her. Just about every time, her instincts prove to be the right move.



“Serve the Lord while building
 loving and Christ-centered relationships”. 


Thank you Tyler and Megan for your loving friendship. You family is a beautiful reflection of the blessings the Lord provides! P.S. Happy 5 year anniversary!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirit of Laziness

Life is So Noisy

Tidy House