Samsung Gem of thoughts...
Necessities. Today I got the Samsung Gem phone from U.S. Cellular. I went to U.S. Cellular to get a new phone because I slammed mine into a car door, which obviously, defected it. All I needed was a basic phone really, one that calls, has an alarm clock, and has a calendar. But it was only a $5 additional monthly charge to upgrade to a data phone with the plan that I am on. So, of course my eye and fingers drift through the different phones, playing with key pads and various touch screens, browsing the different apps and amenities. I came down to the Samsung Gem because it was the free phone U.S. Cellular was offering and being such the fragilest that I am (sarcasm, I am thinking of my husbands frugal nature that I am considering), I "settle" for this phone instead of spending $100-$200 on the Samsung Mezmerizrm clock, but check the weather for the next day. I can not only use my calender, but have it programmed with my email address so I can view my calender while I am checking my email from my computer also! All of these are not necessities but conveniences. Do I really NEED them? No. So why do I want them/ why do they appeal to me? Is it to become like the 40% of Americans who have a data phone? Is it to "classify" myself? This new phone ordeal has obviously raised some thought provoking concern in my mind (hence the reason for my rambling post). In terms of- what do I find value in? There is so much depth to this question that I ask myself, but I am able to sifer through a few thoughts. I usually look to what is practical to my lifestyle. What is practical relates with price- can I afford it, comfort ability- how long will this last as a staple product (in referring mostly to clothing and shoes). How resourceful the product is- how will I use it to make my day to day life easier, more organized. How will the product hold up and be a continued staple over time? I am sure my list continues, but practicality, price, comfort ability, and resourceful is what it comes down to. I don't intentionally aim to have things because they are expensive, or because they are a certain brand, or to have the look. My intentions are practical intentions or that is what I am checking myself on. I know I am far from perfecting my values, but it is good to check my intentions because my goal is to feast my heart on Philippians 4:8- And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.
Luke is calling me into the kitchen to make potato salad for dinner tomorrow, I am 4 minutes past the deadline I told him I would be done:) Thank you Lord for the thoughts.
Luke is calling me into the kitchen to make potato salad for dinner tomorrow, I am 4 minutes past the deadline I told him I would be done:) Thank you Lord for the thoughts.
Comments
Post a Comment